Spicy Vegan Cottage Pie
- 400g x 2 tinned lentils, drained
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 100g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 50g frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dark Habanero Chilli Sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- salt to taste
- 800g potatoes (floury like Maris Piper/King Edwards/Yukon Gold/Russet), chopped
- 120g vegan butter
- 50ml plant milk
Preheat the oven to 190°C/ 375°F/ Gas 5.
In a pan add the olive oil and fry the onion, carrots and celery on a medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, then add the tomato paste, thyme, nutritional yeast and cook for a further minute.
Then add the peas, lentils, stock, Dark Habanero Chilli Sauce. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
In another pan add the potatoes, pour enough water so that it just covers them. Bring to the boil then cover with a lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
Then drain the water and add the butter, milk and salt. Mash together.
Place the lentil filling mixture into a casserole/baking dish then spread the mash on top.
Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.